Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Papa Bud & Grandma Betty Lou

About six months ago I met my Dad for the FIRST.TIME.EVER.  A few weeks later I met my 10 year old sister, Alana.  And two weeks ago I was able to meet my Grandparents.  They live in Texas and drove all the way to Phoenix to meet us.  Grandma Betty Lou and I had emailed many, many, many times, so I felt as though we already knew them.  But nothing could prepare us all for the beautiful people we are blessed to call Grandma and Papa. 

Grandma Betty Lou is an amazing quilter and seamstress.  She is the one who made the children quilts and valances for their bunks.  Grandma sprained her ankle while they were traveling here, but she said nothing was going to stop here from coming to meet us.  How sweet is that.  I told her I must get my stubbornness from her :)  Papa Bud was in the Air Force.  He is pretty much the opposite of what I envisioned him to be.  I was expecting a harsh, military-ish man and instead I found a compassionate, loving and caring Papa.

We spent a lot of time hanging outside under the awning, watching the children play and getting to know each other.  We also went to lunch at Paradise Bakery & Cafe and cooked out (is that how you say it Grandma?) for dinner.  The next day we all went to the pool and the children enjoyed showing off their swimming skills to their new fans. 


Grandma and Jericho bonded as soon as they laid eyes on each other.  I am usually THE.ONLY.ONE. that gets to hold Jer all day long, so it was wonderful to have a break.  When Grandma wasn't holding Jericho, Téadora was sitting on her lap getting her back scratched.  If Grandma stopped for even a second, Téadora would grab her hand and place it on her back again.  Grandma, Papa and my Dad lived in Hawaii for quite some time when my Dad was young, we were all talking about Hawaii.  A few moments later Aidan emerged from behind the trailer and was all decked out, he was ready for Hawaii :)  He even put on a little show of a "Hawaiian" dance for us. 


They left and headed onto California to see my Dad, Sister and other family and friends.  On their way back to Texas they stopped and spent a little more time with us.  We had such a wonderful time with them and we cannot wait to see them again, hopefully next time in Texas.  

Photos from Phoenix, AZ here

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, you have no idea how much the trip to Arizona meant to PaPa and I. Like the instant bond you have with your child when they are first born, that is how we feel about you. We are so blessed to have you in our lives. Can't wait until you come to Texas, maybe you will be here for Christmas. Wouldn't that be great!
    Love, Grandma BettyLou

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails